Squashed in between the white table and the kitchen sink, was a tall white bar stool. And on this I would perch. My bare feet swinging back and forwards as I waited my calling as the raspberry jam-like dispenser. Onto cooled rounds of dark chocolate cake, I'd spoon exactly two dessert spoons of the liquid ruby syrup. A second round of chocolate cake, sandwiched in the sweet, tart raspberry centre.
With a dramatic flourish, Mama would sprinkle silver dragees on the cloudy white lemon cream cheese topping, and gently place the home made chocolate hearts 'just so'.
Biting into a silver forkful of moist, rich and tangy lusciously chocolate raspberry cake...luxurious lemon flavoured cream cheese frosting squishing out the corners of my mouth - yum.
Mama's Valentine's Day cake
What you need
For the cake
- 200 grams best quality dark chocolate, melted
- 180 grams cake flour
- 250 grams butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 300 grams dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 100 mls buttermilk
x 2 round cake tins
Best quality raspberry jam
For the cream cheese frosting
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 200 grams icing sugar
- 250 grams cream cheese
How to make
- Heat oven to 180 degrees, grease the two baking tins.
- Beat sugar and butter together until pale, add eggs one at a time.
- Add in all other ingredients and mix lightly with a metal spoon and pour equal amounts into the 2 greased baking tins.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, then spread a generous amount of raspberry jam on the bottom layer, place top layer on top.
- Mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and zest of the lemon until smooth, spread over the top of the cakes and decorate with chocolate hearts and fresh raspberries.