Thursday 2 February 2012

Roasting bag chicken and radish salad


When I was growing up, my Dad used to roast the Sunday chicken in one of those silvery plastic oven roasting bags.  It would steam up into the shape of a over blown balloon, keeping those gorgeous chicken-y flavours tightly wrapped up.

With much pomp and ceremony, Dad would gingerly poke a hole in the bag and with the snap of the wrist slice the bag open to release the mouth watering delicious aroma.

These bags disappeared from my sight for a while...but I have recently re-discovered them and now I too can look like a magician as my son stands and watches me flick the wrist and release that comforting smell of roasted chicken. 

Picture: terinex.co.uk
To be honest, I can't remember Mama ever using a roasting bag.  But my Dad made the best roast chicken (sorry Mama) and he never once made a roast without these brilliant bags.

I used one just last night.  Our family is trying to eat more healthily and I am struggling to come up with recipes that are low in fat, tasty and most important...can help me sneak in veggies for my dear "non-vegetable loving" husband of mine.

Give this a bash...just be careful not to over cook the chicken breasts or you will land up with a piece of old leather.

Steamed chicken with fresh radish salad

What you need: (serves four)
  • A large oven roasting bag - or make a parcel out of wax paper
  • 4 large free range chicken fillets
  • Make a rub of 1 t-spoon of salt, ground black pepper, paprika and dried sweet basil
  • About 8 radishes
  • 1 medium cucumber
  • Handful of seedless green grapes
  • A little ground nut oil
  • Chili flakes
  • A table spoon oyster sauce
  • 1 t-spoon honey
  • A squeeze of lemon juice
  • Boiled new potatoes

How to make:
  • Rub the chicken with your homemade rub and place in the bag evenly spread apart
  • Tie up bag tightly and place in oven for 30 minutes on 180 degrees heat
  • To make your dressing mix the oil, honey, chili flakes according to how hot you like it, oyster sauce and the lemon juice and set aside
  • Grate the radishes and cucumber together and leave to stand for a few minutes, then press down to remove excess water
  • Add the sliced grapes and give it all a good toss
  • To plate up slice the new potatoes and lay as a base, remove the steamed chicken (be careful of the steam!) slice and lay over the potatoes, drizzle some of the juices from the oven bag over the top
  • Place your radish salad on the side and drizzle with the chili dressing

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment