Tuesday 27 September 2011

Chocolaty crumbly hugs

I have another funny story to share. 
This photograph was taken from a large painting that hung in our living room.  It has been in the family for years and it was the reason my mother married my father.

The story goes as follows.  My father worked in a bank in Salisbury as an office clerk.  A friend arranged a blind date between my Dad and my Mother - who was under the impression that Dad was a Bank Manager.

Although there were no romantic sparks of undying love-at-first-sight they went on a few more dates before Daddy took Mother home to introduce her to Mama and Bumps.

As they walked into the living room, Mother noticed the large castle painting on the wall and mentioned how pretty it was.  Daddy, as a joke said "yes, that's our family home".  Little did anyone know that Mother took this seriously!  A short while later they were married and the family teased Mother for ages about "the family home".  You can see on the photo - Dad even wrote that down!

They were married for 12 years, and as I mentioned before - the best thing that ever happened was when they divorced and I went to live with Mama and Bumps. During the big "D" ...and to be honest for as long as I can remember, Mama used to make my Dad Romany Creams when we was feeling a bit down. 

They were like chocolaty crumbly hugs of happiness.  Although I always asked... Mama would not allow me to make the fork indentations on the biscuits until I was in my teens.  I was however always allowed to lick the spoon and use my fingers to scrape out the heavenly chocolate batter.

Mama's special Romany Creams - the cure for any heartache

What you need:
  • 2 cups of cake flour
  • 230 grams butter
  • 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 1 tea spoon baking powder
  • 3 table spoons good quality cocoa (I substitute this for a large slab of dark chocolate when feeling flush)
  • Large slab milk chocolate
  • 1/2 cup cream
How to make the biscuits:
  • Cream butter and sugar until pale and creamy
  • If using cocoa, dissolve in a little hot water.  If using the dark chocolate - melt over a bowl of steaming water.
  • Mix all ingredients together so form a firm dough.
  • Roll into walnut size pieces and place on greased baking sheet, press each one down with a fork to make a pattern like Mama did
  • Bake for 10 minutes on 180 degrees and allow to cool.
How to make the cream filling
  • Heat the cream on the stove - don't allow to boil. 
  • Break into it the chocolate and stir till glossy and melted. Allow to cool.
Sandwich two biscuits together using the cooled and thickened chocolate cream. Dust with cocoa powder and serve with a fresh pot of coffee...YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment