Tuesday 13 September 2011

Beef pepper pot comfort

The sheer beauty of an African thunder storm takes your breath away.


On thunder storm evenings, the lights often tripped and we were left to marvel at the lightning bolts striking the earth in ferocious anger.  Each lightning bolt would bring an “oohhh” or a “blimey now that’s a good one” from the three of us as we sat watching the show through the French doors.

I loved the lightning but hated the clap of thunder that came after it.  Mama would tell me that I shouldn’t worry; it was only God moving furniture up stairs.  That has always stayed with me and I have told the same thing to my young son as he huddled close to me in later years.

We would light some candles – Mama called them fairy lights – and we would have an impromptu picnic.  We would get the little gas stove out and brew a fresh pot of tea and Bumps was allowed to “legally” raid the pantry and we would snack on assorted nuts, cherries and home-made biscuits. 

Bumps would try getting me to laugh and would sing some more silly rhymes.  Like this one... 
“Now I'm getting very fond of my gas mask I declare, it hardly ever leaves my sight.  I sling it on my back and I take it everywhere.  It even comes to bed with me at night”...
I did not understand the black humour of these ditties, but he sang them with such flamboyance that I could not help but giggle.  I still smile when I think of these songs.

I would cuddle up next to Mama, my feet pulled up tightly and I would wedged myself under Mama’s arm.  I did exaggerate my fear, I have to be honest.  It just felt so wonderful to have such dedicated attention and to feel true joyous comfort in their love.  I’m afraid I did milk it for all it was worth...

Today’s recipe is one filled with comfort.  The same as Mama and Bumps would give me deep and unwavering comfort, so too will Mama’s beef pepper pot.  Comfort from the inside!

Mama’s Pepper Pot

What you need:

  • 1 kg rump steak cut up into chunks
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 4 large peppers – two green, one red and one yellow – also chopped
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Few glugs of Worcester sauce
  • 2 table spoons corn flour
  • 1 garlic clove minced
  • Big knob of butter
  • 500 mls beef stock



How to make:

  • Fry the onions in the butter until translucent, add the rump pieces and brown.
  • Sprinkle the corn flour over the meat and give it a good stir.
  • Add all the remaining ingredients and put in the oven for 90 minutes on 150 degrees.
  • Serve with rice. YUM!