Monday 29 August 2011

Nostalgia and Yorkshire Pudding

Don’t you find on occasion, that nostalgia brings a sense of sadness with it?

I wish I could go back in time and be a better granddaughter. All the times I could have learnt things from Mama and Bumps, but did not for reasons I guess only a ten year old would understand.  I wish I could ask Mama how come her cakes were always super light and soft and mine come out dense more often than not.  I wish I could ask Mama why my Yorkshire puddings do not always rise gloriously like hers did (mine sometimes resemble a discus and could actually be used as such too). 
I wish I could ask Bumps to tell me more of his stories from his war days - like when he was stationed in Kenya and what it was like listening to enemy code!  I would ask him to teach me some more naughty rhymes as we rambled down the country lane aiming for the fresh cow pats. And I would prick my finger so that we could look at my blood under the microscope instead if shrieking and running away like a ninny!

Yesterday would have been my Dads 71st birthday.  He has been gone four years now.  So I guess this is the source of my melancholy mood today.  My Dad was a great hulk of a man.  His favourite things to eat were egg and chips and Mamas Yorkshire pudding drowned with her famous brown onion gravy!  To be honest Dad loved most food, as do I - like father like daughter. Mama would watch him relish his dinner the same way I watch my son relish his dinner.  Nothing can give you as deep a pleasure as watching someone really and truly enjoy the fruits of your labour.

A short blog today as I plan to be in the kitchen practising the YP in honour of my Dad and I will get it right... a mountain of golden crispy batter, light and delicious! YUM! Honey... guess what’s for dinner!

Happy birthday Daddy, I miss you.

Mama’s YP

What you need:
  • A piping hot oven - as hot as it can go
  • 125 grams plain flour
  • a pinch of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 200 mls full fat milk and 100 mls water
  • 50 grams lard or dripping - don't use butter as it will burn

How to make:
  • Beat the eggs, milk and water and pour into the flour and salt mixture.
  • Mix until a smooth batter is formed – and leave to stand for 20 mins.
  • Use the heaviest metal oven dish you have, put in the lard and place in the hot oven.
  • Once the lard is “smoking”, whisk the batter up again to add air and pour into the pan (see why you cant use glass...as it will shatter).
  • Close the oven door quickly and don’t open until the pudding has risen and is golden – serve immediately.
I sometimes serve it with honey and cream as a dessert. YUM




No comments:

Post a Comment